Established criteria must be met in order to qualify for the ecotourism label.
These cover a wide range of practices in eight key components of ecotourism as follows:
• Environmentally sustainable practices
• Natural area focus
• Interpretation and Education
• Contributing to Conservation
• Benefiting local Communities
• Visitor Satisfaction
• Responsible Marketing and Communication
• Cultural Awareness and Respect
By meeting and possibly exceeding in the above areas, the ecotourism experiences show that they are at the forefront of the tourism industry. They are provided by businesses who are dedicated to educating the tourist about the natural world and local culture. They are striving to be environmentally innovative and socially responsible.
Overall, their ecotourism products have a positive impact on the environment, local communities, and their clients.